HOW TO: Change iCloud Email Address

October 14, 2011
By

Authors note: I’ve been hearing mixed results on this – some people are saying it works, yet others like me have done it fine.

One of the downfalls of iCloud is it does not appear to let you change your email address that it is under. As you can see, if you go to Settings > iCloud > Account, it does not let you change your email. However, I’ve found a quick workaround. As I stated above I’ve been getting mixed results on it working.

Here’s what I did. This was done about two hours after setting up iOS 5 on my 4th generation iPod Touch.

• I switched all my iCloud backup stuff to “off” (contacts, calendars, reminders, all my other apps, etc)
  • After that I hit the big red “delete account” button at the bottom of the iCloud settings. It’ll warn you. Hit delete again, and it will do so. You’ll then be logged out of iCloud on the device. Simply go to the iCloud account login/setup section, and it will then let you put a new Apple ID in the box.

149 Responses to HOW TO: Change iCloud Email Address

1. Traci
    May 2, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Not only have I been trying to update my iCloud on my iPhone but so has the employees at the Apple store. I was finally told last week that is was not possible….they were wrong! Thank you so much, this worked perfectly!!

• booth
      October 4, 2014 at 4:02 am

All you e the old had to do was delete the old account and reregister the address you wanted. Simple if you are using a iPhone.

2. Peter
    June 9, 2014 at 4:35 am

I did it on my mac. just delete everything and it will give the chance to create a new email. Best thing is, all of my old stuff was still there. Thanks Devon

3. Bill
    June 12, 2014 at 12:57 am

I tried this and it wouldn’t allow me to delete my account. I kept getting the dialogue box to enter my password with the old email address. Any ideas? Thanks

• Anonymous
      June 22, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Same here – It keeps asking for the password to turn off Find my iPhone… Fed up of this!!!

• Margaret
      June 23, 2014 at 2:23 am

Same thing is happening to me. I try to delete but it wants my password from my old email address.

• Judy A. Barron
      June 25, 2014 at 8:21 pm

FAILED ATTEMPTS AT CHANGING ICLOUD EMAIL SO CAN’T RECEIVE ON PHONE OR PC!!!

ME TOO! I TRIED DELETING EXISTING ICLOUD ACCT, BUT IT WONT LET ME. IT KEEPS ASKING ME FOR PASSWORD FOR EMAIL ACCT I LOST MONTHS AGO DUE T0 A MOVE. I’VE EVEN TRIED TO PLAY ALONG AND ENTER THE APPLE PASSWORD I USED WITH THIS EMAIL, BUT I GUESS BECAUSE ACCT HAS BEEN CLOSED, IT KEEPS SAYING “YOUR APPLE ID OR PASSWORD IS WRONG.”

4. Maxine
    July 7, 2014 at 10:24 pm

This recommendation worked for me. Thank you for the information

5. Anonymous
    July 23, 2014 at 2:44 pm

WORKED FOR ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Trevor
    August 18, 2014 at 7:22 am

Need to turn Find my phone off cant do as is in grey and keeps asking for non existent unverified Email and Password Please help desperate

7. janet
    August 29, 2014 at 1:01 am

it WILLLLLLL NOOOOOTTTTTT LET you@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. janet
    August 29, 2014 at 1:02 am

you CANT turn off find my phone if it ahs the wrong email address because it WONT LET YOU

9. Julie
    September 16, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Thank u been trying for ages … It worked immediately

10. Pam
    October 5, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Worked for me…thanks so much. You can’t find the information through Apple anywhere that I could locate.